Introduction to the Shooting Sports

Original Mentor Page

In the effort to promote responsible gun ownership and rights awareness, I make the following open offer to any resident or visitor in the Evansville, IN area:

If you have never shot a gun and would like to try, I am willing to take you shooting free of charge. I will provide the firearms, ammunition, eye/ear protection and I will cover your range fees. I guarantee if you are on the fence about gun ownership and usage, you will not be at the end of the session. You will have fun and learn a little in the process.

Please feel free to contact me if you'd like to meet at one or the other!

If you live in a different area, please check this map for mentors that may be in your area.


Friday, April 11, 2008

Guns on College Campuses

Larry, over at Monster Hunter Nation, hands out a good frisking to some girl named Elizabeth who commented on his blog after his post about students in Utah being allowed to carry on campus. Go give him a read and then come back here for a little moreAs someone who graduated college in the recent past, this is an item that's close to my heart.

I always acted the same way regardless of if I was on campus, or off campus. While it's true that I had a little more lee-way then most students on a campus, because I knew all of the security officers (EMS will earn you that kind of respect), I was always on my best behavior. I always acted like a responsible adult.

Even at the ripe old age of 23, and nearly 24, I can count the number of times that I've been drunk on one hand, and I can probably count the number of times I've had something, make that anything, to drink on two hands. Never once while drinking was I tempted to pull out a firearm, and wave it around. In a similar manner, in the last year of carrying, I've never been tempted to pull my firearm out in public. The thought of doing so, without an extremely good reason, boggles my mind. By good reason, I mean I'm about to use my firearm to stop a forcibly felon, and chances are, it's against me or mine.

My point is this, crossing a magical border onto a school campus, or into the post office (federally prohibited place) does not change who I am, does not mean I'm going to go off the cuff. Crossing onto campus does not make me any less a responsible armed citizen, then it does make me any less of a trained and certified EMT. Why do politicians, any of them, or school bureaucrats and administrators, feel the need to deny me my rights?

While I'll fully admit that many of the guys I went to school with would have no interest in going through the hassles it takes to get a permit. That's fine, but what makes a college campus a magical place that needs to be gun free.

Can anyone answer that? Maybe post it in my comments. I would love to hear your ideas.

3 comments:

EE said...

Huh, I didn't think you were that young.

I have a response to this, or rather a few things to add, but I have to go to class.

Stand by.

EE said...

Yes, I know I owe you a comment. Stand by, I need to get some sleep.

Please email me at: emergencyemm (AT) yahoo (DOT) com

Richard Springer said...

Awesome blog youu have here

A well regulated militia being necessary to the Security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.